Jessie Magdaleno signs multi-year extension with Top Rank

Boxing


Former junior featherweight world titleholder Jessie Magdaleno has signed a multiyear contract extension with promoter Top Rank.

“Jessie has consistently been in thrilling contests, including against Nonito Donaire and Isaac Dogboe. His style makes him must-watch TV,” Top Rank president Todd duBoef told ESPN on Wednesday. “We believe that there are many compelling matches that will excite the fans as he looks to secure another title shot.”

Magdaleno (25-1, 18 KOs), 26, a southpaw from Las Vegas, who has been promoted by Top Rank since turning professional in 2010, won a junior featherweight world title by debatable unanimous decision against Donaire in November 2016 on the Manny Pacquiao-Jessie Vargas undercard in Las Vegas.

Magdaleno made one successful defense, knocking out Adeilson Dos Santos in the second round in April 2017. But then he lost the 122-pound belt by 11th-round knockout to Dogboe in a fight of the year contender on April 28 in Philadelphia.

Frank Espinoza, Magdaleno’s manager, told ESPN that the contract with Top Rank had not yet expired but that they were happy to do a new deal ahead of free agency.

“We sat down and talked with Top Rank and they gave us a better contract than the last one. We negotiated it and here we are back with Top Rank,” Espinoza said. “We weren’t looking to go anywhere else. Top Rank took Jessie to a world championship and I believe he can still be a world champion. Things have been going good with Top Rank. We have a good relationship and we and wanted to re-up, and there was an offer and we took it.”

Although in the wake of the loss to Dogboe there was some talk that Magdaleno would move up to the featherweight division, Espinoza said he will remain at junior featherweight for the time being.

“He’s going to stay at 122 (pounds),” Espinoza said. “We want to fight Dogboe again. He believes he can beat him. That’s the fight we would like to fight.”

Espinoza said Magdaleno likely will next fight on the Top Rank on ESPN+ card penciled in for Sept. 28 that will be headlined by junior bantamweight world titlist Jerwin Ancajas (30-1-1, 20 KOs) in a defense against Alejandro Santiago Barrios (16-2-4, 7 KOs).

When Magdaleno does return, he will do so with a new look in his corner. Magdaleno, who has been trained by Manny Robles at his Southern California gym, is returning to Ismael Salas, who trained him earlier in his career. Espinoza said it was a matter of Magdaleno wanting to train at home in Las Vegas, where he recently bought a house, rather than in California.

“Jessie has been working out with Salas in Las Vegas. He’s been in the gym,” Espinoza said. “Now it’s time to get ready for a fight and get back what’s his.”



Source link

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

USADA suspends Jon Jones but the UFC star could return in late October
Benni’s wife recovering well after operation
Manuel Charr tests positive, Fres Oquendo fight off
Former Minnesota lineman Nick Connelly dies of cancer at 22
A conversation with Chicago Cubs veteran Ben Zobrist

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *